Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Twilight ~ Novel


Feel bizarre that I read books? Yes, even this yours truly also am in owe. First reason why I ended up buying the book is because I won't get to watch the movie, which currently screening in Singapore, but then again I also feel reluctant to watch because of the not so raving review. Definitely will see the DVD when it comes out. Second reason is this is a vampire story. Anything related to vampires, werewolves and wizards is a must watch/read for me (but off course after a careful selection and sorting). Third reason, the book is on sale, period.


The story, off course it's about the love story between a vampire and a human, in teenager context. The vampire starts to open his heart after decided not to avoid the attraction he felt for the girl any further. Then, the girl already dazzled by the vampire's beauty, accepted the feeling and were happy despite lots of questions and issues lingered. One fine day, a villain came, obsessing in hunting and kill the girl. Then the action and adrenaline rush started to kick in.


So, how's the book fares? Well, I spent 2 sleepless weekday nights and came to work like a zombie on the next day. The story telling is from the heroine's point of view but the style is quite different from the usual Western novels which I find it quite fascinating. I like the dialogs between Bella and Edward. They're very smart, quirky and entertaining to read. The setting is at Forks, Washington, reminds me of how green the area outside Seattle is. It somehow brought me some nostalgic feeling.

Enough about the good stuff, now here're some of my rantings:

  1. The story flows very slow! The first 75% of the book is focusing on the emotional development between Bella and Edward. It makes me anxious when reading it and starting to demand some actions, which come in when last frew chapters of it and to my disappointment it only lasts about not even close to 20% of the book.
  2. It's rated 'G'. 'PG13' not even up to par. And here I was having watch too much anime and shoujo manga demanding more actions, both in violence and romance department. And I was definitely wrong in applying shoujo manga standard while reading the book. I mean, come on, even Vampire Knight has more bloody scenes and more excruciating emotional turmoil than this. I haven't even come to Hellsing Ultimate. And now I wonder why Gundam series is for kids?
  3. With that said, it takes me more time reading pages by pages because I tried to visualize what shoujo manga look like while I'm reading the book. When I said it's interesting on the top, it's because I keep, and I cannot stop, imagining each scenes as manga-like scenes. Especially Edward and Bella's expressions when they're having the arguments and interrogations. I definitely must add on those nose bleeding and Mabushii scenes from Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge because it's so perfect and fitting in the story line. Can't help it, just can't help it.
  4. The best thing about books is that it allows you to further your imagination. Without this factor, I don't think I'll be able to finish the book. There's no doubt that Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are very right for Bella and Edward's casting. But being an anime and manga junkies, I just can't help imagining Yuuki and Zero instead, or even worse, I keep having dilemma in imagining Edward's character. Is it supposed to be Kaname Senpai or Zero? Or some other cool bishounen from La C'orda D'oro (hahaha... yes, got no correlation but I also don't know why that anime just bursted out in my brain when I was reading twilight)? Or worse, I even imagined Bella should look like Sunako and Edward should look like Kyouhei. I mean, the mabushii factor is already in, why not cast in the same characters. And the rest of the Cullens can be taken from Saionkoku Monogatari. O, having Ren from Skip Beat as Edward also is not a bad idea. Hmm... those fan fiction writers should get a hand on this book and recreate another set of story hahaha....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha.. haven't read the book yet *still sitting nicely on my desk* =P. The book is sooo thick! And 4 sequels!! Makes me hesitate to read on the first place. But everyone is saying that the book is much better compare to the movie. I watched the movie, and honestly a bit disappointed about the plot. It's a bit slow for a vampire movie! But then I thought..maybe the director just want to focus on the romance side of vampire and human hehe..
Eniwei.. I'm curious of how different the book and the movie is.. so I bought the book. Hopefully I can read it soon *still reading other novel now*
But Edward in the movie is HOT! That alone enough to keep me awake in the theatre hiehie...

kyuriri said...

Then, miss smitten, you definitely must read the book, only then you can appreciate my rantings *wink**... don't be intimidated by the thickness, Harry Potter's and Lord of the Ring's sagas are much thicker and dense then this one :d