Friday, November 21, 2008

Shokudo Pasta

Today was another extreme makan sessions for me. After a full set lunch of black curry rice from Sun Dining at Chimes, I still have another round of pasta at Shokudo. I came to know this pasta join after having lunch with my department on some blue moons ago. Singapore do have a very limited Japanese pasta, let alone a good one! Off course it still can't beat the small smokey joint of St George in Seattle (heard that the place got bigger and smoke-free now, what a big difference from my time). But then again, after my second experience of eating pasta there, I still say that Shokudo is still better than Waraku in terms of value and quality. It left me with the impression that only go to Waraku when it's ladies' night, meaning 50% off the menu.
I had their basil sauce last time, which was nice, and this time I was lured by the wobbly poached egg over the creamy asparagus and hottate pasta. Off course, we also have to order the thin crust pizza as my deary may not have this kind of foot once she steps on the land of koalas next week. For our pasta, we had the option to choose either spaghetti or penne, but we'd rather stick with the original. I was a bit disappointed when my pasta came because the poached egg was rather runny than sit still on top of my pasta, thus looked uglier than the cute picture on the menu. But that negative feeling was swept away when the pasta went to my mouth. I'm usually take a step back when I encounter a creamy based pasta because it's so sinful and fattening. But this time I was so curious that I stepped out of my comfort zone. And it turned out not a wrong decision. The cream was lighter than I expected and I managed to finish my pasta and didn't feel so lethargic thereafter. It turned out that asparagus with hottate can make a good combination of pasta, thus another new point of learning here, too.
And off course what farewell dinner that doesn't end up with dessert. And this is another reason why I dragged my friend to Shokudo. I know my friend is an ice cream lover, and Shokudo may be the 'it' place when it comes to ice cream. Ice cream normally was not my forte as my teeth normally can't sustain the icy cold sensation creeping from my teeth nerves. But, when it comes to Shokudo's strawberry ice cream, I'd say, to hell with my sensitive teeth. And true enough my friend's black sesame ice cream screamed the same thing to her.
So all in all, I was satisfied with my food in Shokudo, while feeling guilty now as the fat start to sink on my stomach as I'm sitting on the couch now. But, as a foodie always say, We live to eat, not eat to live. So might as well enjoy it!

No comments: