Monday, March 24, 2008

Pear Compote

Hohoho... I've been craving to make this pear compote eversince my friend gave me half bottle of red wine (free red wine --> I don't drink red wine and I'm not an alcoholic --> DESSERRTTTT on the go hahahaa)... Anyway, since I never do before, I did a research for the recipe (wow, they use lots of ingredients for a slow-cooked pear haha)... So due to the limited availability of ingredients in my kitchen, here we go:
Ingredients:
1 cup of red wine (I don't care what kind of red wine, as long as you like it)
3 green pears, peeled and cut big cubes
1/3 cup of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla escent (it will be wonderful if you use the real vanilla bean)
5 slice of peeled lemon/orange/grapefruit (in my case, I use grapefruit because I just happen bought them)
Sauce:
2 cup of milk (DO NOT USE NON-FAT MILK)
1/3 cup of sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp of corn flour, diluted with water
1 tsp vanilla escent
3 tsp of ruhm (or to your taste)
How to make:
Sauce:
1. Put all the ingredients into a sauce pan except the corn flour, vanilla and ruhm then bring to boil, keep stirring to prevent the egg yolk to become a scramble egg
2. When it boils, start to pour the corn flour bit by bit until it is as thick as cream soup, then bring to boil one more time
3. Remove from heat and keep steering to prevent skin forming, put in vanilla and ruhm. Once it's a bit cool down, set aside and put inside fridge
Pear compote:
1. In a saucepan, put in all ingredients and slow cook around 1/2 hour or until the pear soft and absorb the wine colour, and the alcohol already gone, left with the sticky wine residue (don't throw this away!!!)
To serve:
On a plate, layer the sauce then place about 6-7 cubes of pear in the middle. With a teaspoon, splater the plate with the wine residue. Then top the pear with vanilla ice cream (I'm thinking of Hagen Daaz ice cream) ...

No comments: